Monday, February 6, 2012

Not Ok

I've heard a lot of buzz about Josh Powell lately. And honestly the response I've heard in some of the comments really tick me off.

Yes, that lives were ended in a such a violent way is awful. But the response has been kind of awful too. Responses like this:

"Glad I won't be seeing Josh Powell in heaven... what an awful person."

I am not ok with this philosophy. This self righteous attitude seems immature and primitive to me. When I said that lives ending so violently was awful, I was counting his life too. We don't get to decide who goes to heaven or not. Sorry, but you can't just pick people out of the crowd or even the public eye and say, "Sorry, I've seen your actions, you aren't righteous, you messed up, go to hell." His actions are strictly between him and the Lord. Worry about your own actions, stop the comparison. Let me quote this, because scripture counts for a lot more than my words do.

Doctrine and Covenants 64:9-11
Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in Him the greater sin. I, the Lord will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men. And ye ought to say in your hearts - let God judge between me and thee, and reward thee according to thy deeds.

Get it? Yes. Each person will be accountable for his/her actions, whether in this life or the next. Powell will be held accountable and pay to the degree that his Heavenly Father and Savior see fit. I can't say where he'll end up, no one can. It's not up to us. "I seriously do not think God goes around damning people to hell" (Leslie Burke - Bridge to Terabithia)

I consider Him my Savior for a reason. He saves.

I by no means want to belittle the tragedy of this. Innocent lives were taken, lives that could have been anything. I just think we need to be aware of how we react to awful situations, because that is where we can grow stronger, rather than creating more hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment