Monday, June 2, 2014

Called to Swerve!... Away!



 
I guess for some people, missionary length skirts and conservative tops aren't as repulsive as I thought.  Why you might ask?  Well let me back up a little bit here.
 
Sister Eichorst and I were out in Heywood one Sunday, knocking a few doors around where a member supposedly lived.  One door was answered by a young man - I swear to you he couldn't have been more than 16 wearing brightly coloured Spongebob shorts. 
 
Which of course I commented on, "hey nice Spongebob shorts."  ("Hey you're an idiot Sister Gish.  Who says that?")  We had an awkward conversation with him for a few minutes because we thought his mum was a member and we were trying to get ahold of her.  He assured us that his mum definitely was not, but finished the conversation with, "I'll talk to her when she gets home and text you about it." 
 
Wow how helpful spongebob man, thank you for your kindness!  (He has a name but for anonymity's sake he'll remain spongebobman or SBM for short.)  I should have suspected something right there but we just gave him our card and returned home.
 
Well the next day we did indeed receive a text message from him, "Hi it's "SBM", the guy wearing spongebob shorts.  I talked to my mum and she's definitely not a member.  Reason I'm texting is... which missionary am I texting?"
 
Uh-oh.
 
I explained about how we share a phone, and then because we were both dying to know the purpose behind his question, queried, "how come?" 
 
This was the response:
"Well I was going to see if the short one fancied a date."
....
....
Guess who "the short one" is?  (Give you a hint, my companion is not a midget.)
 
So I gently explained to him that I'm honoured but missionaries can't date. And I'm thinking what a shame that SBM is about 6 years too late because my 15 year old self would think he's pretty cute.  (He was pretty cute.) 
 
Well he texted back AGAIN and said "That sucks, is there no way I can get to know you?"
 
Umm.... come to church?  Be baptised?  See you in white? 
 
I actually did invite him to church, still thinking he's about 15, so "I could introduce you to some nice youth your age."
 
Yeah.. turns out he's 21.
Needless to say I don't think we're going to work out. 
 
Sorry SBM.  Come to the YSA building.





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment