Monday, September 8, 2014

 


 
Conversations with people I meet on the street.
 
Because missionaries will talk about anything, even rice.
 
(One sided conversation)
 
"You're from Gambia?  That's really neat, how long have you been there?"
 
"I have some friends from close by in Africa.  They always make ... Jalaf rice?  I've never had it but I've heard it's really delicious."
(While desperately thinking of how I can relate rice to the gospel)
 
"What's that?  You're putting down your backpack... because you have a container of Jalaf rice with you?"
 
"Wow look at that.  It fills a whole plastic container that used to be for Caesar salad.  Yup that looks really good.  Great idea to put it in a garbage bag as well so it doesn't leak."
 
".... You want to give it to me?  Noooooooooooo that's ok.  I mean it's really nice.  No really you don't have to do... ok yup yup you are insisting so I will take that garbage bag holding the Caesar container holding the Jalaf rice."




 
"Thank you.  I can't wait to carry this around for the next 5 hours till I can get home to eat it!  YUM! I'm sure no one will think that's strange."
 
Needless to say the Jalaf rice was REALLY delicous.  At least that's what the rubbish bin told me. 
 
 
 
 
 Our house still smells of it.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment